Monday 23 May 2016

Module Evaluation

This year has been a big step forward in PPP for me. Whilst I’ve always understood what the module was trying to teach, I’ve often been stubborn about taking it on board in the past. Since Christmas I’ve really come on in this module because of the reality check I had when I approaching the end of the course. I know I could’ve done much more for PPP this year, but I feel like what I have done has been very important in terms of identifying a niche and preparing myself mentally for progressing beyond uni, which was a real struggle in the previous two years.

The niche I’ve identified is a design role somewhere within the sports industry, an area where I’m likely to be the target audience of any briefs. This is important as I’ve found that over the three years on the course, this I’ve enjoyed my work much more when working on briefs that I’m the target audience, and I find that my work benefits from this. Whilst I’m pleased with all the work I’ve done where I’m the target audience, I’ve sometimes questioned the quality of other bits of my work. Given that confidence in my work has been something I’ve struggled with at times, it seems senseless to me to undo the progress I’ve made in this area by trying to be something I’m not or do something I’m not comfortable doing such as working in a branding or web design studio for example.

Design for the sports industry generally serves three main purposes; selling merchandise, promoting a sport/event/competition, or information design for fans of the sport. The briefs I’ve been doing for extended practice fulfil these areas of design within the sport industry, but also show and ability to apply myself to things outside my comfort zone and my ability to come up with functional and creative solutions. When looking into job opportunities in this area I’ve struggled to find many opportunities, but my recent interview with William Hill where I narrowly missed out on the job has given my confidence that I’m more than capable of being employed in one of these roles, and I can compete with other applicants with more experience than myself.

Given the lack of opportunities for this area of design speculative applications are going to be important for me. Whilst this isn’t something I’ve started yet, it’s something that PPP has prepared me for - like previously mentioned, I’ve not done as much as I could’ve done for PPP this year, but the importance of the work I’ve started within PPP means that it will be continued after graduation up to the point where I start applying speculatively - I believe the promotional video produced in collaboration with Joe Shiels and Kit Cowey will be a big help with this, but the length of time taken for it’s production has delayed me starting this process. In the time between graduating and finding a job I will be continuing to work freelance with Harri Larkin and any other clients who end up coming my way - I have the appropriate resources for this all prepared (website, invoice slips etc), but I’d rather try and find work outside of the design industry whilst finding the right opportunity comes up for me rather than risk the enjoyment I’ve found in graphic design this year by working in an environment I’m not comfortable with.


In summary, PPP has been really valuable for me this year, as I feel like it’s helped me find my role within the design industry, albeit so slowly that I’ve not had much time to apply this knowledge towards the ILO’s as much as I’d have liked. This module has given me both confidence and much-needed direction within my work. So whatever the academic outcome my be for this module, it’s been invaluable to me on a personal level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment