Tuesday 6 October 2015

Encounter with Copyright

Upon wanting to quote and reference Michael Bierut in his new book 'How to use Graphic Design to Sell Things, Explain Things, Make Things Look Better, Make People Laugh, Make People Cry, and (Every Once in a While) Change the World', I read in the inside cover the following statement:

"All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, recording or any other information storage and retrieval system without prior permission in writing from the publisher."

I found this odd because the numerous other books I'd read, quoted, and referenced on my CoP blog hadn't had such a message. I looked into copyright exceptions on the governments website and concluded that I was probably allowed to do so on the grounds of 'Non-commercial research and private study', 'Criticism, review and reporting current events', 'Sufficient acknowledgement' and 'Fair dealing'.


The post in full can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment