Monday 19 October 2015

Identity Workshop

After discussions in todays workshop about the relevance of certain forms of identity, particularly business cards, I've come to the conclusion that business cards (or at least some sort of physical element that can be given to someone) are always going to be relevant, and so they're something I need to think about in my self-promotion.

I've also learned to think of this as self-promotion as opposed to self-branding. I'm not a brand, I'm a person, and my employability will generally be based upon how well my work aligns with how I promote myself. For this reason I've decided that, given the underlying philosophy of my approach to the whole of this year, my promotion itself needs to be highly reflective of the work I've chosen to undertake.

This means I can't really start work on my self promotion until I've started compiling my portfolio, which, in turn, can't be made substantial until I've done considerable work in OUGD603. However, conceptually speaking, I'll need to come up with a business card design that will fit on numerous shapes or formats, as this may be require in order to best represent my individual projects. This will also need to be translatable into a website of some sort.

I can't see any other format or media being necessary for my own promotion, as I tend to work without gimmicks, and this should be reflected in my promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment