Sunday 31 January 2016

Self Promotion - Logo Development

I started out trying to keep the strings the same length for each ball (left), using the angles of the string to and the frame of the Newton's cradle to create a shape of the letter 'M', which didn't work. Using a bit of artistic licence allowed this to work better (right).


 

Using the same proportions and grid I tried to then create a 'B' too.











But this way looks more like it in my opinion, I also added curved bottoms to compliment the circles.












Reducing the weight of the lines that made the cradles put more emphasis on the shapes.













I reduced the size of glare on the steel balls to make them more subtle, and added text below to add some context to the letters. I used Steelfish, a tall and strong font reflective of the structure and reliability - attributes that apply to myself and fit in with the maths/physics-related concept of the logo.















Given the two cradles were the same size, the alignment of the text never looked right underneath it because of the different number of letters in my names. I tried the logo without the 'B' because it was weaker, hoping to remover this problem with the text - it didn't work.















This was my solution, which looks much better.















However, I thought that the symbol overshadowed the text to much, so thinned the lines making the cradle even more to balance this. I also removed the curved bases to further reflect structure and reliability.















I found that putting the text inside the symbol aided these reflections even further, as well as allowing the whole logo to be square, an advantage for social media purposes.


No comments:

Post a Comment