Tuesday 19 April 2016

Research/Thoughts on Portfolio Production

How To Create a Portfolio & Get Hired - Fig Taylor

What it said: Display the final product clearly, talk a little about the process but not much in terms of evaluation so as to show the client/employer you know what you're doing without talking about your mistakes.
How I'm acting on it: Cut down the amount I talk about the process and completely remove evaluative comments.

What it said: Balance commercial work with personal projects to show some personality and passion in your work.
How I'm acting on it: Making sure I only include projects that I'm keen to talk about and am particularly pleased with.

What is said: A3 and A4 are industry standard because they're cheap to post and don't take up too much space.
How I'm acting on it: Design for A3, allowing for bigger images and therefore work to be displayed more clearly.

Burn Your Portfolio: Stuff They Don't Teach You In Design School, But Should - Michael Janda

What it said: Clients and employers want to look for designers who they can build a relationship with or who have the personality to fit into their company.
How I'm acting on it: Make sure I use industry specific words in descriptions of my projects but not sound pretentious, write how I'd speak so as not to appear too formal.

What it said: Clients and employers want to see how design can save or make them or their company money.
How I'm acting on it: Talk about the commercial implications of the projects in my portfolio to show clients/employers I'm aware they have budget restrictions, which helps the understanding between myself and the client/employer.

What it said: The e-mail or cover letter is usually read first, then the CV, then the portfolio.
How I'm acting on it: Make sure the cover letter is custom written for every application using the advice above, pay as much attention to the layout and design of the cover letter as I do to the portfolio.

Stand Out - Denise Anderson

What it said: Make sure photographs of your work are consistant throughout to show attention to detail.
How Im acting on it: Re-take photographs of older work that I want to put in my portfolio so I can make sure they're photographed in the same way as the new work.

No comments:

Post a Comment