Friday 20 November 2015

Alteration to Self-Promotion Logo

I wanted to review my self-promotion logo from last year to check it was still appropriate for my work this year.












I wanted to make it more reflective of my personal interests, which is what my work focusses on to a large extent this year, so I tried incorporating the shape of the tail of an angelfish into the logo, as fish-keeping is one of my main interests.














I wanted to see how the shape looked by itself, but it's just too bulky when filled with a solid colour and loses it's elegance, as well as looking like a moustache.












I instead tried change the shape of the B to the tail shape, but I found that the curves contrasted with the points in the M making it look a bit confused. I was also told that the B looked very reminiscent of a pair of breasts, which isn't appropriate at all.













Getting rid of the points using the same shape made it look a bit like the McDonald's logo, and it was far too open.













I went back to the previous stage and added an extension to the fish tail, but I didn't like how this made it less square and made the B less obvious.










Given that my logo will be placed on business cards that very in shape to represent the projects in my portfolio it's probably not a big issue that adding the fish shape to the logo doesn't work.

Some of the feedback I got last year was that the B looked like an R, by putting my name underneath the symbol this was no longer an issue, but it limits the flexibility of the symbol if the text should always be placed underneath it.














I found that by extending the line of the B slightly this was no longer a problem, so the logo for my self-promotion will remain largely unchanged from last year, it's simple and gimmick-free like my work and personality.












When I start getting a better idea of what projects I'll be including in my portfolio I'll start working on the designs for the business cards, which will then lead in to some form of website. This shouldn't be too far away now though, as my extended practice is running smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment